IVAR Blanket Ladder: IKEA Hack

25 Jan

It seems like everywhere you look lately the magazines and design blogs are featuring a blanket ladder in every living room. They’re wonderful and charming and the perfect touch for any style. Like this beauty from Pottery Barn. Except that beauty is $249 and LOLOLOLOL that ain’t happenin’ at Chez Anne.

So I went to IKEA, where so many great ideas are born. And I found the IVAR side unit. This unstained pine piece comes in six different sizes and is meant to be the side of a customized storage unit. I picked up the 20″x70″ piece for $15 because I knew it would make a great blanket ladder.

I knew it would be perfect as soon as I got some stain on that beautiful untreated pine. How wonderful is IKEA untreated pine? I get so many ideas every time I look at those pieces! I hit Lowes and found this miracle of modern staining, Minwax Finishing Cloths.

These are fantastic for small projects because they’re wipes with the stain and finish in one. You just wipe it on, let it dry, and you’re done. Since I was using the untreated pine I didn’t even have to sand or pre-treat. You get eight cloths in the pack, and I used three for this project.

I used my painting pyramids to prop up the ladder on a plastic sheet. Do the back side first, wait for it dry for an hour, then flip it over and do the front side. I attached some felt furniture feet to the top and bottom where it would hit the floor and the wall so I don’t scrape anything.

Then just prop it up! I let it cure overnight before I added any blankets. And so I could look at my beautiful stain job.

And then I added my blankets! I’m so happy with the way this turned out!

My version was $23.97, so take that, Pottery Barn.

9 Responses to “IVAR Blanket Ladder: IKEA Hack”

1. Jennifer January 25, 2016 at 6:00 pm #

What a great idea! I had never heard of a blanket ladder. Not only is it functional for storage but it’s a great way to display pretty throws & blankets!
    Jennifer recently posted..Baked Penne Pasta with Ground Turkey {Recipe}My Profile

• Anne Hogan January 26, 2016 at 6:35 pm #

Yes! And it hardly takes up any space so it was perfect for my weird little wall between two closets. :)

2. Rachel January 27, 2016 at 3:10 pm #

What a great hack! I love the blanket ladder trend. I have one myself!

• Anne Hogan January 29, 2016 at 12:44 am #

I feel like I’m late to the blanket ladder party!

3. Rose January 28, 2016 at 8:22 am #

So clever! I’ve been to IKEA a hundred times but never once saw that piece! Love how it turned out!

• Anne Hogan January 29, 2016 at 12:44 am #

They don’t really have the IVAR system on display – at least not in my store. I found this piece when I was wandering the warehouse, which is sometimes how I get my best ideas!

4. Trace April 7, 2016 at 10:43 pm #

Does this piece have a lot of holes on the inside of the left and right vertical pieces? From looking at the product on Ikeas website it’s hard to tell.

• Anne Hogan April 12, 2016 at 9:12 pm #

Yes, it does have two columns of holes, about an inch apart, running up the insides. If you work the stain into the holes they don’t show as much, and they’re totally hidden once you have blankets on it, but they are there.

5. Ashley August 11, 2016 at 6:40 pm #

Are the rungs moveable on that Ikea piece? It would be great to be able to use that bottom rung too!