How to Make a Dog Shirt out of a T-shirt

8 May

I had a t-shirt from my office that I wanted to turn into a dog shirt for Teddy, but I couldn’t find any tutorials online to tell me how to make a dog shirt out of a t shirt, so I decided to write my own. You’re welcome.

DIY Dog Shirt

Here’s what you’ll need:
T-shirt
Scissors
Fastener – I was doing this late at night and feeling lazy, so I used a safety pin, but you could use velcro or a button.

DIY Dog Shirt

Now hold the shirt up to your dog model, with the neck hole at their neck. You can even slip it over their head, if your model is feeling cooperative. (Mine was not.) Eyeball the spot where you’ll want to cut off the bottom of the shirt. I could have gone shorter, but the whole point was to have my company logo on there, so I made it a little long.

DIY Dog Shirt

Next cut a line straight up the middle of the back of the shirt.

DIY Dog Shirt

I forgot to take pictures of this part, but you’re going to cut off the sleeves, cut along the shoulder seam, and then open the shirt up. From there, cut from the bottom of the sleeve hole across so that you cut out the back panel, while leaving a strip a few inches thick along the bottom. You’re going to use this as a tie to keep the shirt on the dog. Clear as mud? Hopefully this picture helps, but if not, please ask me questions in the comments and I’ll do my best to answer! You’ll also want to use your dog model for this part to make sure your ratios are right, and cut more or less depending on the size of your dog.

Now you’ll want to attach your fastener to keep the (now smaller) neck hole closed. I used a safety pin and it worked just fine. Of course, my dog is crazy fluffy, so you really can’t see it anyway. Slip the neck hole over your dog’s head, and use the strips you left at the bottom to tie the shirt on around his belly.

DIY Dog Shirt

And ta da! You just turned an adult t-shirt into a dog shirt. Now, if you did what I did and made it longer to accommodate a logo or other image your ties will be pretty low on the dog’s belly, so you’ll want to take this shirt off for potty breaks, especially if you have a boy dog.

DIY Dog Shirt

Sorry for the bad photos, but I took them with my iPhone after dark. If you have any questions about the process, just shout!

21 Responses to “How to Make a Dog Shirt out of a T-shirt”

1. Carrie May 8, 2013 at 9:20 am #

You are so dang crafty. I would have never figured that out.

Really a neat idea. And that Teddy? What a fantastic model!
    Carrie recently posted..I’m living with the law and breaking it every day but let’s just keep that between us because what the law doesn’t know won’t hurt him. Or me. So, there.My Profile

• Lady Anne May 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm #

Crafty or crazy? It’s a fine line….

2. genesis solis July 29, 2013 at 3:47 pm #

Do you think it would work the same if i use the sleeve as the neck

• Anne Hogan July 30, 2013 at 10:33 pm #

I haven’t tried it that way, but I don’t see why not!

3. Sarah December 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm #

Ya lost me at the part you said you didn’t take pics of! Is there anyways you could do another one and take pics? Lol also I have an adult large shirt and a large breed dog, a boxer, would this method still work for him too?

• Anne Hogan December 20, 2013 at 12:18 am #

It should work with a bigger dog, as long as you measure as you’re cutting. I’m on my way out of town for the holidays, but I can try to do another one with photos when I get back. Basically you want to cut along the seams and then remove the back of the shirt leaving just a strip at the bottom that you can tie around the dog’s waist.

4. Sarah December 20, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

Ahh Okay that makes more sense I think! Thanks so much!

5. button March 4, 2014 at 5:50 am #

It will utilize a greater dog, when you measure since you’re slicing. I’m with our way to avoid it connected with area for that holiday seasons, yet I can attempt to do one more together with pictures after i return. Fundamentally you intend to minimize across the seams then take away the back again in the tee shirt causing simply a deprive in the bottom that you can wrap about the dog’s middle.
    button recently posted..Semaiah – $1.68My Profile

6. Anna July 11, 2014 at 12:24 am #

THIS IS AMAZE!!!

I’ve been putting my little dogs…well, Butch isn’t THAT little…in Target Boys 3T shirts!? Haha.

I have a TON of Ts that I can convert! Thanks for the tutorial!

Get ready, Butch…new wardrobe coming soon! Haha.

:) Anna
    Anna recently posted..Blueberry Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile

• Anne Hogan July 11, 2014 at 3:10 pm #

Ha ha ha, my little guy wears a size 12mos! 😉 Have fun!

7. make a shirt May 7, 2015 at 1:14 pm #

Appreciation to my father who told me regarding this web site,
    this website is truly awesome.
    make a shirt recently posted..make a shirtMy Profile

8. Pamela Smith May 19, 2015 at 8:27 pm #

This is so cute! One of our dogs loves to dress up! Maybe I will take one of my daughter’s track shirts and try this out! Pinned for future reference. Thanks!

• Anne Hogan May 21, 2015 at 11:28 am #

Yes – it would be great for making outfits for canine fans! :)

9. Megin May 20, 2015 at 3:51 pm #

This is so super cute! I’m in love with Teddy Bear!
    Thank you for sharing your post this week at Brag About It Link Party on VMG206. I’m featuring you at Next Weeks Brag About It Link Party, Monday at midnight!
    ~ Megin of VMG206

• Anne Hogan May 21, 2015 at 11:29 am #

Oh that’s so exciting! Thank you, Megin!

10. Bonnie May 26, 2015 at 7:22 am #

This is adorable! I would love for you to link up to the Stitch It, Blog It, Share It Link Party going on now at OurSecondhandHouse.com.
    ~Bonnie

11. make a t shirt July 19, 2015 at 3:36 am #

Good post. I learn something new and challenging on websites
    I stumbleupon everyday. It will always be helpful to read articles from other authors and use a little something
    from other websites.
    make a t shirt recently posted..make a t shirtMy Profile

12. Olivia Jenkins September 9, 2015 at 9:16 am #

That’s great! I have made a shirt for my dog. It looks beautiful so much. This is the first I have made, so I have mistake, but my dog like very much. Thanks for your share.

13. Mae May 21, 2016 at 10:36 am #

Hi! Amazing tutorial, and cutest pooch! I’m having a DIY doggie tutorials week on my blog, and I was wondering if I could link you to it and include you on the list? Let me know if your interested!
    Mae recently posted..DIY – Doggie Graphic TeeMy Profile

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Reads for the Weekend | Anne Hogan - May 10, 2013

[…] 10 May I’ve got a crazy week coming up, so I’ll be taking this weekend for some rest and relaxation. And, of course, some beach time. A girl’s gotta get her beach time. But what to read at the beach? No worries, I’ve got you covered. Here are some of my favorites from this week, you know, from when I wasn’t making dog shirts. […]

2. Brag About It | VMG206 - VMG206 - November 20, 2015

[…] Shirt from T-shirt by Anne Hogan Restoration Hardware Paris Map Knock-off by Snazzy […]